On the sixth episode of the Indie Dev Podcast, I interview Andy Dunn of Exato Game Studios. Follow along as he illustrates how he helped lead Microsoft’s indie push with XNA, and his tips for becoming an entrepreneur in the software industry.
Andy also goes into detail about Steam’s Greenlight process, and the value of integrating a Steam Workshop into your game to build a community and following.
If you enjoyed what you heard here today, or found this show to be helpful, please consider donating to Gamer’s Outreach Foundation, which is organized by fellow Xbox MVP, Zach Wigal.
Things we talked about:
- The first computer Andy programmed on in 1981 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Machines_380Z
- The Sinclair ZX81 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_ZX81
- Clive Sinclair http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Sinclair
- SInclair C5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_C5
- Space war http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/sample/spacewar
- Marblets http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/sample/marblets
- Buy Kissy Poo here http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Kissy-Poo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855036d
- Bible Navigator X http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Bible-Navigator-X-HCSB/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550415
- Progenitor trailer (unreleased) Progenitor Trailer – Dream, Build, Play 2011
- Buy guncraft here http://store.steampowered.com/app/241720/
- See workshop here http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=241720 (we have 3200 FREE items)
- Lidgren (reliable UDP netoworking) https://code.google.com/p/lidgren-network-gen3/
- Techcraft (open source c# voxel engine) http://techcraft.codeplex.com/
- Community Express SDK (managed steam SDK wrapper) http://www.communityexpresssdk.com/
All music is courtesy of Benjamin Briggs.
- Intro / Outro: Diddy Kong Racing – Hi There! (Lobby)